Sinister: Autumn in Edinburgh - the sun ain't gonna shine anymore...

Nik Ovenden nik_ovenden at xxx.com
Sat Oct 1 13:51:43 BST 2005

...well actually it's pretty great weather today,
excepting the usual north wind.  Brr.

Compelled to de-lurk once again in 2 months (wow) by
James Laming's addition to the Scott Walker debate:

"in this scribe's humble opinion scott could sing the
phone book and make it divine."

I bought the 'Boy Child' compilation in 2000 on a
whim, having only ever heard a couple of Walker tracks
before, and fell in love.  My favourite song  is "Time
Operator" - he's crooning to the voice on the end of
the talking clock about what a lovely couple they'd
make - should I ever end up a lounge act singer, I'd
sing it.  Insane.

The compilation's foreword makes the point clearly, as
my belle at the time, Viks, hated his voice - Neil
Hannon was commissioned for the intro and closed it
"Unlikely as it may seem, Scott Walker is the musical
equivalent of Marmite" [you love it or you hate it].

I'm firmly in the former camp.  Glad to hear others
are too.

While we're singing praises, I have Stevie Jackson's
XFM hijack set on CD from 2002, and boy howdy, he
spins some excellent records on that show.  if you
email me  i'll gladly (eventually) send a copy off!

Glad to hear the Barbican was good; it even got a few
stars from a Times critic.  Damn (Rupert) Murdoch, he
should be kinder to his namesake.

Well, gotta brave the breeze, the library is calling
as my dissertation won't write itself.  Sigh.

Wrap up warm,
Love Niko
xxx