Sinister: let me take you on a journey

Ian Moore dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Thu Sep 1 21:28:38 BST 2005

HI DERE!

first up, usual apologies. You may recall that the last time I posted I
made some rash claim that I would not post again until I had posted out
my Sinister Christmas presents. Well, I have not posted them yet, but I
will one day. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not. Anyway, I have been so excited
by the sudden burst of posting to the list that I feel I must join in
this joyful correspondence.

It was nice to see loads of old names posting again, but I think I was
particularly pleased to see Astrid mailing again, as I think she joined
the list around the same time I did. Maybe there will be a sudden
resurgence of posters from around that time. You know, like Psi,
Grainne, Priscila, Seamus. and all the others. I'd like that.

I would also like to hear from Jenowl again. I remember what I think
was her last post, a joyful mail about she had finally left school and
thus was free to move away where the hard kids would never find her
again. And then nothing. In her happy post school life did she no
longer need to post to us, or did the hard kids track her down and see
to it that she never would post to anything ever again? I do not know.

I've had some adventures of my own. Recently I was in the troubled land
of Palestine (I don't recognise the state of Israel, except when
dealing with their immigration and security officials, and in any case
I spent almost my entire time on the other side of the Green Line). If
you like big fuck off walls with graffiti on them then Palestine is the
place to go. The olde city of Jerusalem is also good fun, if you've
ever fancied seeing what cities looked like in the middle ages. I also
discovered a species of cute animal hitherto unknown in the western
world - the hyrax. This little fellow lives in the Judean desert and
although he looks like some kind of cuddly rodent, he is in fact a
relative of the elephant. And very fierce. Never forget that.

Next week I am off to the Americas. Montreal, Vermont, New York, that's
my itinerary. I'm a bit worried about Vermont - I've read my H.P.
Lovecraft, and I hear that every second person there is some kind of
squamous monstrosity in league with rugose entities from beyond time
and space. Also, the place seems to lack public transport.

I'd suggest trying to arrange a rendezvous, but I think I will be too
busy getting over jet lag in Montreal, while I am at a wedding in
Vermont (steady on ladies, it's not mine). And in New York I am staying
with people from the other internet, so they get first dibs on my
social time. However, it is possible that I will go along to a concert
by popular Irish band The Chalets which is taking place somewhere in
New York on Thursday week (checks events diary, they play at some KCRW
showcase with a load of other bands in that Sin E place where Jeff
Buckley recorded his lamer live version of 'The Way Young Lovers Do',
on the 15th). If you go to that concert, have fun going up to people
and saying "Are you the Dirty Vicar?".

You might want to confer with MarkH or Amy Skelton before going to any
Chalets concert, mind. I recall them saying they were going to one, but
not them posting as to whether they enjoyed it or not.

OK, better run before the beloved realises I've been talking to you all
instead of finding us somewhere to stay in Vermont.

live to rock,

DV