Sinister: I Said Never Again (But Here We Are)

Fiona Fairbairn ffairbairn at xxx.com
Wed Sep 14 17:18:06 BST 2005

It seems I'm joining in with the 'old list people coming back' motif, although probably from a different angle. I don't think I'm one of the best remembered Sinistereens and if I'm honest I've been unsubscribed from the list for almost as long as I've not been posting, only stopping to read the website with increasing infrequency. (Unbelievably my last post was nearly three and a half years ago) Although thinking about it I did organise a picnic once, even if it wasn't that well attended - Manchester never was a hotbed of tweedom.

So the reason I'm back isn't because I've seen everyone else saying hi and thought I would as well (although that is great) but because the last time I found myself lost and alone in a big city, one of the few things that helped me was the kind words of some people I'd never met on a mailing list.

Many things have happened in my little world since I was last here, many of them really exciting, the latest of which is moving to London all on my own for reasons of career. Everyone keeps telling me how brave I am, but between you and me I'm not feeling very brave. I've been here since July and I just don't know what to do with myself. Where do you start? Don't get me wrong, this isn't a plea for the sinisterkids of the big city to come and hang out with me, but I just can't remember how you go about making a new city your own. So any advice would be much appreciated.

In other business, Fiona's burning question of the day is whether £20 is too much to pay for red faux-leather driving gloves from Top Shop and would it be advisable to try cutting the fingers off?

I shall leave you now as I should probably go back to pretending to do some work before I finish work, but I'll try to be back soon with something a little less self-indulgent, or maybe I'll just fill you in on everything I've done the past few years.

Love and Leerdammer,

Fiona
xxx.