Sinister: Time catches up with all of us

Forest Pines wpsalt at xxx.com
Sun Apr 9 10:09:55 BST 2006

Hello there.

I didn't realise there was a new B&S single out this week either.  Bah.
Clearly I haven't been paying attention very well; I only noticed when,
catching up with my email, I read this week's Popbitch, and saw it's
expected to go into the top 20 here in Britain.

My favourite thing about TLP has to be the deluxe binding.  I don't
want to put it alongside all my other CDs; it looks like it belongs on
a bookshelf alongside The Gashlycrumb Tinies or something similar.  I
was intrigued, though, as to why the Scottish Railway Preservation
Society and the Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway (which are one and the same
for most purposes) are mentioned in the acknowledgements.  I used to
work there, but even so it took me ages to work out that one of the
booklet photos is the interior of an old British Rail carriage; and the
others do look rather like they could be Birkhill railway station.
Must Try Harder in future.

I was rather shocked to see that Astrid has moved to Beverley.  I used
to look forward to her regular posts describing her exciting Swedish
life, so it's hard to imagine that she's now only a few miles from
here.  Astrid, if you're reading: I'm in Grimsby, just over the river.
If you had asked me to name an English place that foreign people are
likely to want to move to, I have to admit that Beverley wouldn't have
been an obvious choice.

Only yesterday, I was thinking about Sinister picnics.  The reason
being, I went off to meet people from another internet place for the
very first time yesterday.  And, I've been to meetups for things many
times before - before I was on Sinister, even, I went to annual meetups
of a Usenet group I posted to - but I'm still always nervous when it
comes to meeting new people.

"Don't worry," said one of these people yesterday, "we don't bite."

"Unless," said someone else, "you ask nicely! Ahahahahahaa!"  Their
Evil Villain training course was coming on nicely, I believe.

These other people call their meetups munches, rather than picnics,
even though they amount to more or less the same thing.  It's
traditional, apparently.

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me - one post to Sinister every six
months is *quite* enough.  I'm off to take decongestants and maybe go
buy that single.  CD *and* vinyl - I might not be a big enough fan to
know when the record is coming out, but I'm a big enough geek to buy
two formats of the same thing.

xx
FP

--