Sinister: Kissing Someone Else's Reflection

Forest Pines wpsalt at xxx.com
Sun Dec 10 17:01:31 GMT 2006

Hello, Sinister!

"This Isn't Just A Modern Rock Song"

I was idling away my Sunday afternoon, as you do,
scanning briefly through my old, almost-dead email
account.  It's almost-dead because it's flooded with
spam in Japanese, advertising, well, I don't know
because it's all Japanese.  Scattered through it,
though, there are occasional pearls, like a sixpence
in the Christmas pudding.  Like the occasional
Sinister email!  Gayle E Anderson posted back in
October.  Now there's a name that brings back
memories, of picnics in Kelvingrove Park and Princes
Street Gardens, and gigs at the Barrowlands and the
QMU.  It's bizarre to think that I've been on this
list over nine years now.

"Not everybody's cup of tea, she would admit to me"

And I'm a very different person to who I was back
then, in some ways.  I'm not the person I wanted to
be, but maybe I'm the person I should have tried
doing.  I mean, being.  I'm sure I've told you all
this before at various points.

Time for an ink polaroid break.

An anonymous-looking hotel room, fairly tidy, but with
an unmade bed.  Two people are in it: a man, sitting
on the edge of the bed; and a woman kneeling between
his legs, looking up at him.  He has one hand on her
shoulder, and the other is holding a large,
heavy-looking camera to his eye, pointing down at her.
 Outside the window, you can see the University spire,
not too far away.

"Seeing other people"

I don't visit Glasgow very often nowadays.  I was up
in October, and it was my first visit for years.
Visting an online friend, we retrod all the streets,
and it felt strange to be back there after so long.  I
was hoping to bump into Stevie Jackson on the
underground, or Sarah in Nice'n'Sleazy's.  I didn't
even make it to Nice'n'Sleazy's, even, being
distracted by the secret fetish club down the road.

Incidentally, I only recently found out that Stevie
was formerly in a band called The Moondials.  Now
there's a damn good name for a band, especially if you
could persuade your lead singer to change his/her name
to Minty Cane.  Anyone who has the faintest idea what
I'm talking about, please send in a postcard to the
usual address.

End of part two.

This ink polaroid is a lot more recent.  It's a
moonlit, deserted beach at midnight.  There are two
people, pale-faced, dark-clothed, looking at each
other.  Not the same people as before - well, the girl
isn't, at least.  She has her arms behind her back, as
if her wrists have been tied or chained together
somehow, and a dreamy look on her face.

"Now we're photogenic we don't stand a chance"

I do come across people who have heard of B&S
occasionally, but not often.

A new phone arrived the other week, with a truly dire
selection of ringtones.  So, I uploaded "Le Pastie de
la Bourgeoisie" onto it straight away, as soon as I'd
worked out how.  Now I'm just waiting for someone to
phone me.  And then someone to overhear it ringing, in
the hope that they'll say "What's that ringtone?"
"Oh, it's this really good Scottish band who have been
around ten years or so now."

It's ten years this month since I first bought a B&S
CD.  How times have changed.  It isn't ten years yet
since I lost my virginity.  I didn't even own a PC,
never mind know what an MP3 was.  I'd heard of the
internet, but never seen it.

Time to put If You're Feeling Sinister on the stereo,
and remember just how different ten years ago was.

xx
FP

www.symbolicforest.com/blog