Sinister: The New Pornographers, Pursuing Life...and a less catchy subject line

Nik Ovenden nik_ovenden at xxx.com
Sun Feb 5 10:46:19 GMT 2006

Hello all,
Firstly, I am *immensely* jealous all of you US-ers
will get to see The New Pornographers alongside our
beloved B&S.  That is a gig to rival all gigs.  With
crossed fingers (assuming the exam gods don't dump a
test on the same weekend), i will be at Weekend 2 of
ATP06, so I'll get to see the Pornos too.  They are
absolutely Fan-f****ng-tastic.  You jammy gits.

I finally bought a copy of DCW; since I'm buying the
Life Pursuit i figured it was time to pick up a DCW
too.  Ooh, i'm also buying that comic book anthology,
what a sweet concept.  Hooray for B&S popularity,
although i second the big booooo for loud, drunk, rude
and cellphone talking boorish louts at the recent
gigs.  I didn't go because i am poor, but I'm sure B&S
were excellent despite the louts.

Content: I have the radcliffe session on my PC after
listening live [email me ;)].  They were very
"chuffing" good, quite witty and Mark Radcliffe now
intones just like John Peel used to; i think we've
found the man who wants to fit into that market.

The last semester of uni sucks.  I'm not saying i'm
emailing you *just* to avoid deadlines, but I'd be
lying if that didn't have something to do with it.
And then in 4 months i get shown the door and have to
be an adult.  bollocks to that.  I'm going to take a
holiday, with what little cash i can scrape off my
bedside table...ooh, 24p.  Great.  I can take a
holiday to the corner shop to buy a banana.

Ooh and the superbowl's tonight.  I get to stay up
till 4am drinking weak american beer and watch men
clout each other (go steelers).  Still, bang goes
another evening that i could spend doing my essays.
This semester I am doing a course on "Happiness", one
on Chinese Medicine, and the other 2 are core courses
about power, language and other dense things.  Just as
i get to love social anthropology, I'm graduating into
a world that doesn't use us well.  Grr.

So apart from graduation dissatisfaction and essay
deadlines, my world rocks out.  The recent musical
discoveries fill me with happiness, I love my degree
and scotland is surprisingly un-wet for this time of
year.  Thanks to the groundhog for saying we only have
6 more weeks of winter, too.  Usually Edinburgh's
winter is October-May.

If anyone wants a S*nister meetup in Edinburgh, get in
touch.  Picnics in February? How twee.

Lots of love,
Niko
xxxx