Sinister: Meet my Potatoes

mummy i've grazed my knee clj106york at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 7 18:05:17 GMT 2006

Hello kids,

This is about my fourth attempt to post in the last
few weeks - I think something is up at missprint
towers. Hopefully this will make it through.

POP RECORD

I am currently half way through my first listen of TLP
- many will be angered by my glib approach - typing
and listening, therefore not paying full attention to
either.

First thoughts - it's good. Certainly the first B&S
record that I've wanted to dance to from the start,
but my bedroom is just one big pile of pants and ants
(how does anyone manage to get ants in February?) so
I'm not going to risk it.
Also, I feel a bit poorly and have to preserve my
energy for Sheffield on Thursday.

What's everyone's problem (unnecessarily aggressive
tone, but there we go) with Funny Little Frog? I have
seen so many articles questioning why it was released
as a single. Answer: Because it's the best thing
they've done since Jonathan David.
Although I don't rate the B sides - I like smut
as much as the next sinisterine, but I just can't
giggle from behind my hand while listening to Meat And
Potatoes. I prefered the subtler sexual references
about thrush, S&M and seeing other people.

I don't get the video either - it's just strictly come
indie dancing, although the inclusion of LLPJ from the
Botanic Gardens lit up my miserable January day and
reminded me of happier times.

I think the best thing about all the new material
though, without a doubt, is that Trevor The Horne
hasn't ruined it with his "My First Casio" production
that managed to eek every last bit of life and soul
out of DCW.

ROCKING ROUND BLIGHTY

Well, in a positive content fest, I move from one
Scottish band topic to another. Some good old
fashioned reporting back.

A week or so ago, I toddled off to Manchester for my
sixth viewing of B&S. I went on my own (because I
smell) and ate my sandwiches at Oxford Road station.
It is generally agreed that a colder day has never
been recorded.

The venue was, rather marvelously, about 200m from the
station and what a lovely little place it was. You
could see the band and hear them perfectly, and the
toilets were alright too. As I grow older, this
becomes more and more important.

I missed Brakes on purpose, just so I didn't have to
look like a loner for too long. Beans skulked around
behind me, monitoring the wares at the Banchory
merchadise stall. Some nice kids then told me they
recognised me and so I hung out with them, smack bang
in the middle of the venue.

Why does Struan wear that hat? I thought this episode
ended after the Dog On Wheels video. He also had a big
coat on for "I Fought In A War"
I won't do a set list, you can pick them up anywhere
(but not at Poundland - I just checked)

The highlights of the main set were "Your Cover's
Blown" which was the best thing I've ever heard them
do live, and the new rocking version of Dog On Wheels.
Loneliness... was also very welcome.

The lowlights were the hushed reverence of the crowd.
You could hear a pin drop between songs - it just
seemed like most people didn't want to be there.
Also, the little bicker between Struan and Stevie as
the latter blocked the formers view of the audience
for Fox In The Snow. The song was stopped and a short
argument ensued before it was agreed not to air dirty
laundry in public.
The final low point was to become a high point. The
laptop packed up and stopped them doing Electronic
Renaissance - my second favourite B&S song

However...

Come the encore, they had fixed it. Struan ran into
the audience to sing and stopped right next to me. He
asked whether we knew the words. After a few lines of
me appearing to be the only person who did, he came
over and told me to sing into the microphone, so we
sang the rest of it together!
Whether it could actually be heard, I have no idea but
it was a toppermost moment!
I think I might also have accidentally brushed his
manhood.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

I have written quite a lot, but it is my first post in
yonks so maybe I can be forgiven?

It is nice to see that people are still meeting up.
Maybe one day I will make it down to the smoke for a
picnic. I don't think I've been to one for about five
years.

I will try my best to wear an upside down badge at
Sheffield. Do the kids still do that?

I have become obsessed recently with Jilted John.
I realise I am about 28 years too late (bar the rather
wonderful performance at Ipswich as the B&S interlude
in 2001), but his album is the greatest documentation
of teenage angst ever created.

An entire song about breeding fancy mice to overcome
the despair of acne! It's funny because it's true!

I love you all,

Chris Jones.