Sinister: steamy windows when we met

Andrew Barton amory1920 at xxx.com
Wed Feb 8 12:31:58 GMT 2006

Dearest Sinister:

     Over the past few years I have been tempted to post, fleetingly, when a
number of heated discussions have flared up. But I have most often chosen to
remain quiet, as I edge towards twenty years of age. I joined this list at
15, when I was living in London for a little while during my sophomore year
of high school (I apologize in advance, to anyone it may irritate, for the
overtly autobiographical nature of this post). Many people on the list were
very kind in welcoming me to the U.K., making mix tapes for me, taping a B&S
radio broadcast to send my way, recommending records stores, etc. Since then
I have come and gone from actively reading posts, but have consistantly
regained my Sinister devotee status when times get Belle & Sebastian-y.
      I wanted to write about the new album (surprise surprise). Firstly, I
think it is utterly fanstastic. But I didn't fully upon first listen. I
heard 'Another Sunny Day' as an mp3 sometime in November, and remember the
joyful moment distinctly. I was staring out the window of my room at
Bennington College, and saw my ladyfriend walking down a path maybe three
hundred feet from out house. The song was hitting the 'another rainy day,
we're trapped inside with the trainset' section, and I took off running out
the door and into the oddly-balmy-for-Vermont-in-November sunshine. She
joined me in running back to my room, and there we danced to the last minute
or so of the song before collapsing and playing it over again. I read the
lyrics to all the songs off of the website soon after. Then, sometime in
December, a list-ee friend who had downloaded it, sent me a secret CDR. I
hesitated, then thought, "Oh fuck it, the anticipation is too great, and of
course when I actually buy it I'll like it even better."
       At first I was shocked to find no detectable strings other than the
'To Be Myself Completely' violin solo, a whole lot of swagger, and to hear
what seemed to be a record of B&S playing in a room together again. Even
though 'The Life Pursuit' is vasty different from those cherished,
beautifully flawed B&S recordings, I believe the spirit and direct style
resembles them delightfully. As do the lyrics. 'Sukie In The Graveyard'
could have been created by a B&S song generator, but it might be my favorite
track just for that reason! It is everything I could want from a B&S song,
really: dancyiness, nice horn part, lyrics with literary finess and a fine
story to boot. Anyway, at first I thought the record was very good, but also
weird and confusing and not all together cohesive. But I knew to give it
time. As the first B&S release to come out after I became a fan was
'Jonathan David' (arguably the first song of the 'confident' version of the
band), which I didn't at first like but grew to adore, I knew to be patient.
I knew how I had eventually decided each subsequent record was my cup of
tea, even if others didn't agree.
        I've taken a break from it for a while. When my three formats of
'Funny Little Frog' single came in the mail, they tickled my pickle. What is
it with people not getting into this song? In my estimation it has the
catchy staying power of all those 60s and 70s pop songs snobs would tell me
B&S were ripping off, with enormously better lyrics and musicianship. Isn't
that what good bands do sometimes? It explodes from the speakers! Today I
woke, tired from winter-internshipping, bleary eyed, to the third sunny day
Washington state has seen in the past two months. I picked up my CD/DVD
package (Super swanky cover art and accompanying photos! Well done Stuart!)
and a nice hot coffee, then set out for a walk to remember. All the other
memories of days when new B&S recordings have been released, since I got
that little start in 2001, came back to me vividly. The beginning of high
school to the beginning of college, perhaps the most important 'growing up'
time. Points marked by afternoon walks where I always stop in the middle and
flip through the liner notes. This band has never dissapointed me, and today
I felt, stronger than ever, how I doubt they ever will.

         With shyly given love~
                                        Andrew