Sinister: Unable to think of a new pun

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Wed Feb 8 14:34:46 GMT 2006

Well hello there. Thought I'd join in with some gig reporting back/album
musings. This will probably be my only post for another year or however
long it's been, so forgive me if it's long...

Just to add to Fiona's memories of Brighton:

- very disappointing to have Lazy Line Painter Jane (still my favourite
track live) snatched away at the last minute due to misjudged audience
participation. I remember sitting there thinking 'oh I know all the bloody
words, get off woman and let me have a go' but then realising that a) I was
in the circle a few dozen feet above the stage and b) I probably WOULDN'T
remember the words once on stage and being hugged by Stuart. Sadly she
turned out not to know the words to The State I Am In either, so Stuart
kindly gave her a tambourine to bang instead like a small left-out child.

- Your Cover's Blown is, as chris has said, amazing live. Better than any
of the numbers they've supposedly had ten years to perfect... (though it
was quite endearing to see Stuart STILL forgetting the lyrics to Slow
Graffiti).

- on being asked what team he supported (original!) Stuart claimed that he
only supported 'half a team - Hove Albion, but not Brighton' because he
liked his big posh houses by the sea to be pristine rock star pads rather
than delapidated crack dens. Or something.

- there was discussion of the Strokes gig down the road, and as Fiona said,
a short and suspiciously perfect blast of 'Last Night'. 'I wish I was in
the Strokes...' said Stuart wistfully.

- daring death-defying handrail walking during Electronic Renaissance was
definitely a highlight. Stuart seems to be much more of a showman these
days (stooping down to shake people's hands!), also much more in control of
the rest of the band somehow.

As for the album: I have only listened to it at work so far, meaning that I
haven't had the chance to crank it up to full volume. But listening to B&S
slightly muted while daydreaming at a desk is maybe as good a way as any...

Act of the Apostles a strange choice for an opener; too generic indie, and
not as catchy as it thinks it is. Another Sunny Day is great - could have
almost come from IYFS if it wasn't for the tighter production and prominent
keyboards, and probably at its best listened to in the summer. Can't wait!

White Collar Boy isn't as good as the similarly glam rock stuff on DCW, a
bit aggressive and obvious for my taste. Not the lyrics though, they are
fab. In The Blues Are Still Blue (like White Collar Boy) the production has
the vocals far too much below everything else, I think, but I love the
chorus (songs about laundrettes are always winners in my book).

Dress Up In You sounds like something from TBWTAS (maybe a quieter, weedier
Dirty Dream No 2) and as such isn't really doing it for me yet (though the
horns are nice). Andrew is right that Sukie In The Graveyard could have
popped out of a B&S song generator (guitar solos excepted perhaps). I like
it, but it seems like Stuart (if it is he) struggles with the speed so his
voice sounds a bit bland.

We Are The Sleepyheads hasn't made much of an impact on me at all, could be
any guitar band bar the voice really :(

I love the dreamy chorus of Song For Sunshine, all very late-sixties
trippy. Most 'different' song on the album in a way.  Funny Little Frog
despite the awful name totally justifies its selection as the first single,
I reckon. Beautiful soaring, catchy melody, perfect 'new' B&S. Another one
for summer. Just get rid of the frog...

To Be Myself Completely was great live, but then it's always a pleasure to
watch Stevie jerking around behind the mic in his nice suit and Stuart
momentarily turning into Bez... on record it loses something, but I do love
the intro with the tambourine etc. Falls over a bit in the chorus much like
another Wrong Girl...

Act of the Apostle II starts SO QUIET and continues a bit wavery and
pointless, though the plinky plonk piano just about saves it and it seems
to have turned into a whole new song by the end. Reminded me somewhat of
the Kinks.

Sadly I will not now be able to listen to For The Price Of A Cup of Tea
without thinking of Adrian Evans' acid reflux, but apart from that I rather
like it - nice twiddly bits.  AND FINALLY, Mornington Cesecent. It sounds
like an Oasis B-side, tedious percussion and ballady guitar solo and all.
Of course Oasis would never title a song Mornington Crescent, and the
lyrics are quite nice, but is that enough for your closing song? No. I
often have a problem with the final songs on B&S albums. Some of my least
favourite tracks are Judy and the Dream of Horse and Rollercoaster Ride.
Not fade away!

So overall, that's 4 good songs, 5 not sures and 3 turkeys. Not what I
could have hoped my reaction would be but hey, after the greatness of the
Brighton gig I am prepared to forgive a lot. And I've always got my copies
of Tigermilk and IYFS... (not that I would EVER have the 'their early stuff
is better' fight becase that is just stupid).

Love to all,

Archel xxx