Sinister: montreal show

peggy peggy67 at xxx.ca
Tue Feb 28 00:47:24 GMT 2006

Hello listers,

I'm a long-time lurker on this list but thought that I'd de-lurk for a
moment to give my two-cents about the show in Montreal last night.   This
is just a little post I made to my blog about the show.

The show last night at the Metropolis in Montreal was terrific. It was my
second time seeing the band, the first time was last fall at the Across the
Narrows festival in New York.

The New Pornographers were great too. They primarily stuck to songs from
Twin Cinema, which was fine by me. Unfortunately, there were some sound
issues during their set. Mark always jokes that for an opening band, the
sound guy keeps the button "that makes you sound good" locked up until the
headliner comes on. In all seriousness, it was almost as if, when they
first started, the PA was too small for the room and the sound guy was
trying to find a balance between what sounded okay and what would be way
too loud.

Another thing I noticed about this particular crowd, at least in the part
of the club where we stood, was how rude everyone was. I'm not sure if this
a typical Montreal thing or just this show but people never shut the hell
up. Talk, talk, talk...all through the New Pornographers set. It was
actually distracting at times. We also noticed that many of the people
there didn't seem to know why they were there in the first place. They seem
to have little or no interest in either band (not to mention no familiarity
with the music) and rather pranced around a bit, "seeing and being seen."
It was odd. On the other hand, there was no smoking in the venue so, I
guess if the trade off for not smelling like an ashtray and not being able
to breathe was putting up with some chatty kids, that's fair.

The really great thing about the show, that I appreciated, was the
punctuality of it all. Belle and Sebastian took the stage around 9:30 p.m.,
just as scheduled. It was refreshing because I have to tell you, one of the
things I dislike about Kingston or Toronto shows is how late they start.

Anyway, they sounded terrific. Everyone in the band seemed really into the
show, really happy and genuinely excited to be there. I don't know if this
just how they normally are on a tour or if this is a "second day of the
tour" euphoria but I for one, appreciated it greatly.

 From what I can remember, here is what they played (in no particular order):

The State I am In
Another Sunny Day
Seeing Other People
To Be Myself Completely
The Blues are Still Blue
Piazza, New York Catcher
String Bean Jean
Dog on Wheels
Mayfly
Sukie In The Graveyard
Electronic Renaissance
Funny Little Frog
White Collar Boy
I'm a Cuckoo
Judy And The Dream Of Horses
Your Cover's Blown (YAY!!!)
Jonathan David

I know I've missed a couple but that's what I recall just now. I was really
thrilled that they did Your Cover's Blown!

One sort of amusing but really sad thing I overheard last night:

girl standing to my left to her male friend, "is that guy out front, like,
the main guy?"

male friend to girl standing to my left, "um, yeah."

I'd love to hear about the Toronto show if anyone on the list was there.

   peggy

what do pretty girls do?
http://home.cogeco.ca/~peggy67

my photos are best viewed by clicking http://www.flickr.com/photos/julep67/