Sinister: the "If You're Feeling Sinist*r" live album

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Thu Jan 19 01:49:06 GMT 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Lawrence Mikkelsen wrote:

> Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone who does have the good luck to live in
> a country where the iTunes music store is available would be at all
> persuaded to re-encode the tracks as good old fashioned MP3s and
> upload them somewhere, or else put them onto a CD and post them to New
> Zealand.*

Motherly Duty here.  Lawrence's geographical dilemma noted, we need
to resolve such requests with the almost biblical list rule not to
trade copyrighted material via the list: we could debate the ethics
of free music trade for aeons (don't! I do it enough in my head)
but the issue is legality, which often doesn't correspond directly
with morality, and just might threaten the continued existence of
the list if handled wrongly.

I'm not a lawyer, so my suggestion here is if you're going to request
content that's pay-for in at least one country, then a commitment to
give the equivalent amount of money that you would have had to pay to
the band, record company (although I expect they have no mechanism)
or somewhere worthy would be a good one, and one I bet the band would
be happy with at least.  It would show good intent.  If you're stuck
for a good charity, I can make a suggestion for a particularly B&S
themed one: http://www.meresearch.org.uk Also quite selfish, because,
if you help them find a cure by contributing, it'll make me well
enough to fix the archives.

And on that theme, here's an interview/article about the band from
The Times last week, including his rough time with ME (the disease,
not me):

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14932-1982088,00.html

Excerpt:

   Murdoch talks about when he fell victim to ME in his early twenties,
   when he abandoned his degree at Glasgow university and lived with
   his friend Michael. "He was also part of the city's ME hardcore,"
   he smiles. "It was here that we turned into characters from Last
   of the Summer Wine, reflecting wistfully on our better years!"

   ... It's as though the energy denied Murdoch in his ME years
   is now the creative fuel that runs his life in Belle and
   Sebastian. Contrasting here and now with there and then, he likens
   himself to Prince Caspian in C.S.Lewis's "The Silver Chair". "He's
   strapped to this chair for years.  Eventually, when he breaks the
   enchantment, he's rescued. It's not as though there aren't bleak
   times ahead - but from then on, everything to him is a game. Because
   he escaped the chair."

Kind of a pity actually, as I'm just re-reading the Narnia books to
see whether C.S.Lewis was actually a sexist pig as alleged or a good
storyteller, and I'm only halfway through that book.  Grr!  Spoiler
alert.  But I'm all for breaking chairs.

Be good,
Honey x