Sinister: More on PUT THE BOOK BACK ON THE SHELF

B. Clay Moore hawaiiandick at xxx.com
Mon Jan 23 23:04:40 GMT 2006

I've gotten a few responses asking for more info on the PUT THE BOOK
BACK ON THE SHELF collection, so I'll share some details here with
Sinister, including the lineup.

I'm not sure how familiar with Image Comics people are, but Image was
founded in the early 90s on the strength of big, noisy ugly superhero
comics. In the past several years the company has moved toward a much
more ecclectic mix, and one of the things we had success with while I
was there were a couple of anthologies, featuring some beautiful work
by a variety of "indie" creators, including a book called FLIGHT,
which featured many lovely tales by a group of artists and animators.

Over a year ago, Eric Stephenson (Image's Executive Director) asked me
what I thought about an anthology collecting creators' takes on songs
by singer/songwriter Stephen Duffy. Eric had been in touch with Duffy,
and thought he'd be a good choice. Naturally, Belle & Sebastian leapt
to mind for me. Not only do I think the band's songs are full of
interesting imagery and open to interpretation, but I knew a lot of
comic creators who were into their music.

The first thing I did was track down B&S's U.S. management, who led me
to the UK management, and eventually to Stuart himself, whose advice
was basically, "I say just do it!"  And so we set about assembling a
talented group of creators, giving them the freedom to interpret the
songs however they saw fit.

The irony here is that I've been embroiled in a lot of financial and
creative difficulty lately, and didn't manage a contribution myself (I
was working on a take on "The Wrong Girl"). Crushing, that, but I
wasn't about to rush something, and I have to take solace in playing a
large role in making the thing happen.

So the book has been solicited, is available for preorder, and should
hit shops next month.

For those who are curious, here's a complete look at the creative
lineup, with the song titles they're playing around with. A simple
Google search should lead you to lots of info on each of the talents
listed below:

The State I'm In by Rick Spears & Rob G.

Expectations by Chris Butcher, Kalman Andrasofszky & Ramon Perez

I Could be Dreaming by Andi Watson

We Rule the School by Mark Smith & Paul Maybury

Me and the Major by Tom Hart

Fox in the Snow by Jacob Magraw

Get Me Away from Here, I'm Dying by Catia Chen

Dog on Wheels by Kako

Lazy Line Painter Jane by Janet Harvey & Laurenn McCubbin

You Made Me Forget My Dreams by Matthew S. Armstrong

Beautiful by Charles Brownstein & Dave Crosland

Ease Your Feet into the Sea by Bruno D'Angelo

The Model by Jennifer de Guzman & Brian Belew

The Chalet Lines by Erin Laing & Matt Forsythe

Nice Day for a Sulk by Rick Remender & John Heebink

There's Too Much Love by Leela Corman

Legal Man by Joey Weiser

Marx & Engels by Jamie S. Rich & Marc Ellerby

Step into My Office, Baby by Ian Carney & Jonathan Edwards

Dear Catastrophe Waitress by Mark Ricketts & Leanne Buckley

Piazza, New York Catcher by David Lasky

If She Wants Me by Ande Parks & Chris Samnee

Asleep on a Sunbeam by Nicholas Bannister

If You Find Yourself Caught in Love by Steven Griffin

-BCM