Sinister: This Saturday - B&S special at HDIF in central London

Ian Watson ianwatsonuk at xxx.com
Fri Jul 14 12:23:41 BST 2006

Hello!

Because we've moved to the first Friday in Brixton and the third Saturday at
the Phoenix, every so often the calendar does a weird temporal shimmy and
deposits the two weekends next to each other. The next time this is due to
happen is in September 2007, so prepare yourselves now...!

So even though we've just had (a storming, and quite chaotic) HDIF in
Brixton, there's another one this weekend. I was thinking about how to make
this one special on the coach back from Oxford on Saturday night, and I put
"The Boy With The Arab Strap" on my walkman to help me ponder. I don't think
I've listened to it all the way through for years - definitely not this
decade - and it was a real revelation. All those ghosts! Stuart David and
his spaceboy dream. Isobel wondering if it's wicked not to care. Memories of
the moment when our secret suddenly broke out into the real world. I sat
there with my beer, watching the lights of the M4 glide by and just got lost
in it all again.

And that's when I realised what I should do. Apropos of absolutely nothing
and tying in with no relevant anniversary, I'm going to play every song from
"The Boy From The Arab Strap" on Saturday night. Not in order or all
together - just sprinkled through the night like old love letters. It seems
to me that two of the songs were designed to be played back to back, so I'll
play those as a pair. Doors open at 9pm and "It Could Have Been A Brilliant
Career" will be aired at 9.15pm sharp. From then on, who knows where we'll
go.

The indie song of the week is: "The Kids At The Club" by Comet Gain
The soul song of the week is: "Little Ole Boy, Little Ole Girl" by Marvin
Gaye and Tammi Terrell
Our guest DJ this week is Andy Strickland from The Loft.

Hope to see you on Saturday!

Ian x

 -----------

How Does It Feel To Be Loved?
Saturday July 15th
The Phoenix, 37 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PP, three minutes walk from
Oxford Circus tube station, 9pm-3am, £4 members, £6 non members. Membership
is free from http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk
Guest DJ: Andy Strickland (The Loft)

We play:
The Smiths * The Supremes * The Go-Betweens * Dusty Springfield * Belle &
Sebastian * Love * Tammi Terrell * Aztec Camera * The Ronettes * Orange
Juice * Beach Boys * The Temptations * Velvet Underground * Felt * The
Shangri-Las * Primal Scream * Otis Redding * The Field Mice * Dexys Midnight
Runners * Camera Obscura * The Four Tops * Melba Moore * The Orchids