Sinister: living out the life of a poet

Rachel Playforth R.Playforth at xxx.uk
Tue Jul 18 10:42:42 BST 2006

Hello Sinister!

Ooh it's been a while hasn't it? Like Andrea (hi!) I am now a Professional
Information Goddess, having finished my MA - which seemed to take about
nine years although it was really only three - in May. I don't think I'll
be launching my new skills on the unsuspecting library world just yet
though, as I now have a little Sinister bun in the oven hooray! *waves at
all the illustrious and lovely Sinister parents*

I know Mozart is the composer of choice for making unborn babies clever or
whatever (my mum favoured Bach I believe so I am only moderately endowed
with genius), but Belle and Sebastian seem to me to be ideal pre-birth
listening for the discerning foetus. Matt might go for something a bit more
bass-heavy and I can see his point because there's a lot of distracting
background noise in the womb, but I also think the baby needs to be born
with the melody to Another Sunny Day already hardwired into its brain.

Famously, current crops of babies are soothed by the Neighbours theme tune,
because when their mothers were pregnant it signified them sitting down and
relaxing, which relaxation was transmitted to bubs. But I don't have a TV
and the programmes I watch on DVD [Lost, 24, Alias, The West Wing] tend to
raise my heart rate if anything. But B&S do make me relax. At this rate
baby Archel-Matt will recognise Stuart Murdoch's voice better than it
recognises ours.

Update on The Life Pursuit: I now like all but one track very much,
including We Are The Sleepyheads which I was unaccountably indifferent to
before (Honey you were right all along!). But Mornington Crescent is still
by Oasis.

Red knicker picnic sounds lovely. (And I guess it's true what they say
about Primrose Hill being a fertility site then...) I hope I can come - as
long as Ken promises not to bring any cod roe, as merely reading his post
made me want to heave. Whatever cravings I eventually get I am almost sure
they won't be for fish eggs. Not sure what a Sinister picnic looks like
sober though, so that will be strange...

My sandwiches: humous and cucumber. Although today I will get to have a
Sandwich Adventure, because I am buying one at work instead of making my
own. Who knows what delights the lovely ladies in the Humanities Cafe will
have to offer?

I'm sure there were other things to say but they've slipped my mind. Still,
if I remember them later then it might mean I'll post more than once this
year.

Warm fuzzies to all of you,
Archel+bump xxx