Sinister: Bits of "Death of a Ladies' Man" sounds like Pink Floyd

Matthew Henderson lokar20 at xxx.com
Thu Jul 20 01:06:37 BST 2006

A girl I knew from my hometown came up to Glasgow rather spontaneously on
Monday.  Yesterday I took her out to the Necropolis.  I hadn't been there in
some years, as I don't tend to frequent the East End of the City Centre very
often (there's a big hill!).  I only tend to go there if I'm out of ideas on
how to show a visitor a good time.  You can't really appreciate what the
city has to offer in a few days of sightseeing, so its always off to the
obvious places.  Anyway, I'm glad I don't go there very often, because
they're something quite wonderful about it, and I reckon it wouldn't be
quite as interesting if I went up there all the time.  Perhaps its the
mournful majesty of a bygone era of merchants and industrialists,
philanthropists and Lord Provosts, and a host of infants who barely lasted a
month.  The beautiful/eerie nature owes a lot to the view, of course, but
also to the knocked over gravestones (obelisks, beheaded and smashed cherubs
covered in graffiti by Celtic fans) and that bloody statue of John Knox,
looking with his ever disparaging eyes over the city.  The view, of course,
is wonderful, even if it is basically the Tennents brewery, endless tower
blocks, and disused land with hills in the distance.  I remember my first
time there, thinking, "hey!  I recognize this...its from the Modern Rock
Song video!"  I always think it strange that its not used more often in
videos.  Also, its strange to see people picnicking between the
rows...essentially they're a few feet above some decayed corpse.  Oddly
morbid if you think about it, but nobody ever does.  I don't think the dead
will mind, either.

Speaking of the Modern Rock Song video, a friend of mine called me up the
other day.

"So someone has traded in the Fans Only DVD.  Is it good?  Is it worth it?"
"yeah, its really good.  Of course, I'm a fan, so I can't tell how much you
might enjoy it, buts its wonderfully edited."
"so are the videos of the band or a bunch of indie tw**s that'll make me
want to punch the screen?"
"uh....its a mix."

It put me in the mood to listen to the Belles, as I've recently been
obsessed with tracks like Tocadisco's Sunday at Space Mix of the Pet Shop
Boys' "Minimal".  I pulled out the Life Pursuit, readying myself to do the
washing up.  Its really the only time I ever use CD's anymore, as technology
and convenience has made them virtually useless once I load them onto my
computer and iPod.  I think, "oh great, this'll get some play."  Of course,
it skips within 1 minute.  I just bought this damn thing a few months ago!
I'm failed by the old world.

I'm failed by the new world as well.  My iPod, after just over three years
of dutiful service, has glitched itself to that great gig in the sky.  If
there ever is to be a Glasgow Sinister picnic, I propose we fashion a wooden
boat on which to lay my beloved mp3 player so it can drift from the Clyde
out to Avalon to await its eventual return with Arthur.  I would suggest we
shoot a flaming arrow onto it to burn it as it floats away, but I wouldn't
want to disturb the otters.

-Matt