Sinister: a new album, a new struggle

Ian Moore dirtyvicar at xxx.net
Sun Mar 26 22:33:01 BST 2006

Hello again,

Shortly after seeing Belle & Sebastian in concert I acquired their
new album. Before discussing it, however, may I refer you to this
website: http://www.waronwant.org/?lid=10200. It concerns a trip
Stuart & Chris made to the Middle of the East to look at the Israeli
occupation of the Palestinians and stuff. There are some nice
pictures there, including one of Stuart climbing through a gap in
that wall thing the Israelis are building. I can't remember whether
anyone has posted a link to this before, and I can't check the
archives, so maybe you will find the website interesting, or maybe it
is all old hat to you at this stage.

Anyway, what about that album? And what about that Alexis Petridis
fellow? I was amused by how he scoved at B&S fans before expounding
the most unreconstructed old-school B&S fan position - that the band
essentially went rubbish the moment Stuart let anyone else sing or
write a song. God bless him.  I’ve realty had it with this lazy
position, which neglects to point out the pleasures that derive from
listening to a record and hearing several voices singing. Also, this
position conveniently forgets the many clunkers Stuart himself has
written. I showed my disapproval of Mr Petridis’ review by mailing
him a human ear.

However, when Petridis moves on from cliché he gets a bit more
interesting. For the new album, the band went to America and worked
with this producer guy who is apparently relatively well-known, but
not so well known as Trevor Horn. However, the album is to some
extent of a piece with “Dear Catastrophe Waitress”, being heavily
produced in a way that previous B&S outings were not. It’s just maybe
not as good. Actually, it’s definitely not as good – where DCW was a
career highlight, this is the kind of record where you start to
wonder whether you can finally give up on your favourite band.

Or so it does on a first listen. Subsequently it goes ever better on
the ear, so I may eventually conclude that “The Life Pursuit” is the
greatest work of art the human race will ever produce. I kind of
doubt it, however, as at this stage I really am beginning to conclude
that over all it's not *that* good.

But what does it sound like? Like I said, it sounds produced. The
songs, particularly towards the beginning of the record, have the
kind of jauntiness you get from people who listen to a lot of disco
and Northern Soul (without actually sounding that like disco or
Northern Soul). Later tracks are mostly a bit less engaging or a bit
subtler, with ‘Dress Up In You’ sounding the most like something from
one of their pre-DCW albums. Some of the others seem a bit unformed,
with ‘We Are The Sleepyheads’ being particularly guilty here. And
having two down-tempo whingers to finish off the album was probably a
major contributor to my initial impression that this record was a bit
duff. On balance, the good tracks are really good, if you like the
produced B&S sound that does not sound like classic B&S. And like all
B&S albums bar “Tigermilk” the good songs are weighed down by filler
(all Murdoch-written – the one Stevie Jackson tune is a charmer).

Some people have wondered whether this will be the record that breaks
B&S through to the big time. I think not - if they haven't made it to
the big-time by now I really do not think they ever will. On the
other hand, given how popular B&S are now, maybe it is time to
conclude that they broke through some time ago.

Maybe so indeed.

Anyway, that's all for now. If any of you are in NOTTINGHAM, keep an
eye out for me next weekend, as that is where I will be.

Bless you all,

DV