Sinister: Reporting Back from Portland...

Stuart Gardiner stugardiner at xxx.com
Mon Mar 27 21:22:15 BST 2006

OK, so I went to see some band play on Thursday. You might have heard of
them.

As is traditional, I'll start with an inaccurate setlist, probably missing
at lesat one song and certainly not in exactly the right order, but fairly
close... Quite a few pleasant surprises in there...

The State I Am In (sounding much fuller than normal, and better than ever -
maybe they've just got a better soundman now?)
Another Sunny Day (why on earth hasn't this been a single yet? It's easily
the most radio-friendly song on the album - are they just waiting until the
summer to release it?)
Funny Little Frog
Belle And Sebastian (!!! Not heard that one live for years !!!)
Sukie In The Graveyard (the one song from the new album which didn't really
work as well live as on the record)
Electronic Renaissance (worked remarkably well live. Although I now know why
Stevie doesn't normally dance on stage...)
Song For Sunshine (because every album has to have its clunker, right? And
it's not nearly as bad a clunker as previous albums... I just keep wondering
why they sing "Sunshine, the OC" in the chorus, have they become addicted to
rubbish TV shows?)
We Are The Sleepyheads
Dress Up In You (which apparently is approximately 26% a true story...)
Slow Graffiti (Yay for another blast from the past...)
Portland, Oregon (Stevie's song, performed only once before when they played
Portland 5 years ago. A bit cheesy sounding, but one of his better tunes.
The lyrics might need some work though - "It's a rainy state, // But it's
great when you're on a date")
Jonathan David (still sounding as great as ever - I never understood why
some people didn't rate this song)
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying
Your Cover's Blown (I can understand why people didn't rate this one
though... The middle bit's great, the rest is forgettable)
I Don't Love Anyone (yes, it still sounds like a Beautiful South song)
I'm A Cuckoo
White Collar Boy (featuring more evidence of why Stevie shouldn't dance on
stage)
Judy And The Dream Of Horses

For the encore, Stuart asked for requests from the audience, and they got
together and decided which ones to play. The winners were:
Expectations
Lazy Line Painter Jane (as usual, featuring a girl pulled out from the
audience singing the Monica Queen part. The difference being, for possibly
the first time when I've seen them do it, the girl who came up not only knew
the words but could actually sing)

So, a massive four songs from Tigermilk, plus another even older song from
the Dog On Wheels EP, but no Twattybus or Fishyclap... They sounded
fantastic throughout, so much more energy onstage than in the old days (or
maybe it's just because I'm not allowed to drink at the moment so I was
actually stone cold sober at a gig for the first time in ages? Seriously,
it's over two months now since I got really ill, this is the longest I've
gone without alcohol since I was about 15...)

They were on good form for the between-song banter as well, whether it was
complaining about the magically self-detuning guitar, or complaining even
more about Stevie's whistling during the subsequent short delay. For the
fashion police out there, no real surprises: Stevie in a suit, Stuart in a
tight white T-shirt and bowler hat, Sarah in a hoodie, Mick in a checked
shirt, Richard gurning behind the drumkit, and Chris completing his 70s
throwback look with a pornstar moustache.

You know, B&S fandom might not be the same as it used to be - Sinister and
Bowlie are both pretty much dead, and most gigs aren't one-off events any
more - but the music's better than ever. As the Duke would say, Keep The
Faith Kids.

Big Stu

(noticing that the Decemberists, the Shins and the New Pornographers are all
playing ATP, and wishing he could go... All three ex-B&S support acts, and
the first two both from right here in Portland...)