Sinister: Get Some (Scandinavian) Reporting Back

Krister Bladh kristerbladh at xxx.org
Tue May 16 19:10:32 BST 2006

This feels like an almost incredible story
 anyway, as you may remember (well maybe not) I live in Malmö in Sweden and being the big b&s fan I am, me and some friends booked tickets for Copenhagen at first – and THEN, the band was booked for Malmö AS WELL. This was really stupid, because it would cost an extra ten pounds just to travel to Copenhagen and back!

Another friend of mine, Lisa (who's much more sensible), was going to see them yesterday in Malmö, and she agreed to go with me to the venue early and stalk our good Struan (and indeed the rest of the band). It was really cold outside and I was accustomed to 25 degrees Celsius and scorching sunlight (just coming back from half a week in Berlin), naturally, I wasn't dressed for it. Still, we met some nice people who were also there 'a bit early', like Nils who'd been waiting for five years or something just to manage the 18-year-old-limit. That must suck! They should have a matinee show with 18 as the maximum age (perhaps with the b&s children's program as the opener?). Well, after a long wait Struan and Stevie finally came out and talked to us for a bit. Struan actually remembered talking to me in Glasgow last year. Can you believe that! He heard of my precarious situation, took a note with my name and said 'I'll see what I can do' or suchlike.

Then me and Lisa went to have dinner with some of her friends, me still not allowing myself to get all exalted, because I still might not get in. After what seemed like a right Last Supper we strolled down to the venue. With shaky legs I tried to sound confident and whimpered 'I'm on the guest list'. And then all in a flash I was inside! (please hold in mind this was only my third b&s gig...) We'd missed the support act, Swedish band Suburban Kids With Biblical Names, but no matter. B&S played a long and fabulous set. I got a set list but I won’t trouble you with it – you'll soon find it on the website either way. But some of the Goodies were: "The Stars of Track and Field" as the opener, Stevie singing "To Be Myself Completely" (one my Stevie-faves), finally hearing "Electronic Renaissance" (which they seem to play all time now...), "A Century of Fakers" (which almost made up for not hearing "Beautiful", which I always request), "Me and the Madge" (as the set list says) and "Le Pastie de la Bourgeoisie".

I woke up this morning and had almost forgotten about the whole thing. Maybe it was a dream. Maybe it will be more life-like in Copenhagen next week. Maybe not – if they play Beautiful :)

Until next time!

Love,
Chris

This weeks listening: Desert Wolves, East Village, Friends, Hurrah! and - naturally - The Go-Betweens.
This weeks quote: "We never even kissed, the girl she said I was truly horrific."