Sinister: I'm From Barcelona/Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub at HDIF this week!

Ian Watson ianwatsonuk at xxx.com
Mon Sep 11 15:26:16 BST 2006

Hello Sinister! Good to have you back. For a moment there, I thought you
were a goner...!

I've just posted this to the HDIF list, and I thought you might all like to
see it too. Hold tight, here comes the blurb...

(Oh, and Lucy, I've got the tracklisting of the Colours Are Brighter album.
I'll post it onto the end of this...!)

We've got two big HDIF events happening this week - hope you can make it
along! First, I'm From Barcelona and Strange Idols play Jamm in Brixton on
Friday, then Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub is our guest DJ at The
Phoenix on Saturday. Phew! All the details are below:

Friday, September 15th
I'm From Barcelona/Strange Idols
Jamm, 261 Brixton Road London SW9 6LH
7.30pm-11.30pm, £6

This is a secret, mailing list only gig. We¹re not allowed to announce
it on the HDIF site until the day of the gig, but please feel free to tell
your friends and spread the word. Hopefully by the time we announce the show
to the world on the day, it¹ll be sold out! There¹s a link for a We Got
Tickets page below ­ it will list Strange Idols and Very Special Guests.

http://www.wegottickets.com/event/12625

There's more info, including timings and a location map of the venue here -
http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk/hdiflive.html

Saturday, September 16th
Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub DJs at HDIF
The Phoenix, 37 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0PP, three minutes walk from
Oxford Circus tube station, 9pm-3am, £4 members, £6 non members. Membership
is free from http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk

There's the usual guest list contest for Saturday. To win one of ten free
places, simply complete the usual phrase: "I deserve to get in for free
because..."

Indie song of the week is: "I Could Be In Heaven" by The Flatmates
Soul song of the week is: "If Wishes Could Be Kisses" by Dusty Springfield

Plus plus plus!

Photos from Friday's HDIF Presents gig are up on the site now -
http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk

We've had another couple of reviews for the HDIF compilation. Rough Trade
said: "A fantastic selection of what's happening in the worldwide indiepop
scene and comes across as a perfect companion to our own 'indiepop'
compilation which mainly focussed on 80's bands... This is without doubt the
best overview of 'indiepop' in 2006." And Disorder magazine said: "Over 19
tracks of whimsy, inventiveness and great melodies this is an album which
everybody who professes to like good music should get, with tunes and
melodies which will satisfy the sweet tooth of even the most miserable of
bastards. Enjoy. 9/10."

The album was officially released today (It was meant to be last Monday, but
it went back a week)! Which means, in theory, it should be in the shops
right now. Please ask your local indie store to order in a copy if they
don't have one. Or you can buy it directly from us, which means the majority
of the album price goes to the bands and towards funding future releases.
It's available here - http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk/hdiflabel.html

That's it for now. Hope to see you later on in the week!

Ian x

And here's that tracklisting...

Four Tet featuring Princess Watermelon - Go Go Ninja Dinosaur
Rasputina - A Skeleton Bang
Franz Ferdinand - Jackie Jackson
Snow Patrol - I am an Astronaut
The Divine Comedy - Three Cheers For Pooh, Cottleston Pie, Piglet Ho
The Kooks - The King & I
Half Man Half Biscuit - David Wainwright's Feet
The Barcelona Pavilion - Tidy Up Tidy Up
Jonathan Richman - Our Dog is Getting Older Now
Ivor Cutler Trio - Mud
The Flaming Lips - The Big Ol' Bug Is The New Baby Now
Belle and Sebastian - The Monkeys are Breaking Out the Zoo
Kathryn Williams - Night Baking