Sinister: This Friday, too: Exeter dreams pop (and other stories)

Dimitra Daisy dimitradaisy at xxx.com
Thu Apr 12 19:12:13 BST 2007

Dear Sinister,

I don't think of you much these days, but when I do, I usually think
of Ally Cook. Not for any particularly exciting reason but because he
once said (back in something like 2001, and on an ilx thread of all
places, if I'm not mistaken) that, if he didn't have time for Sinister
any more, it was because of all the other directions it has thrown him
in. I still had time for Sinister back then but still, it made sense.
All the other directions.

Well, today it looks more like "all the other directions that all the
other directions that all the other directions that Sinister has
thrown me in" but still I wouldn't be anywhere without it, or at least
so it seems on drunk, emotional evenings (I still have the odd one of
those) or when a song comes back to haunt me (usually 'I fought in a
war' or 'It could have been a brilliant career' or perhaps 'Dog on
wheels: something where Stuart's voice figures heavily, anyway).

Or at least (and that is a fact) I'd never be where I am now: in a
flat on Exeter Road (in Exmouth, Devon) where the sun falls through
the bay window forming patterns on the carpet, listening to the Pines
sing about the things that make my world go round. I wouldn't know who
the Pines are, because I'd never have got a lovely pink and blue 7" in
the post, sent by a kind Australian soul. I wouldn't know who coined
the phrased 'the songs that make their world go round', either,
because I wouldn't have got a tape from Richard the Lurker with 'Tout
va bien' on it. I wouldn't have stood in the front room of a little
house in Dundee and listened to it while watching the rain fall on the
flowers.

And this wouldn't be happening, either:

http://www.exetergoespop.com/

All that I can say is that I'm glad.

And that I have to go to the launderette.

Until the next time,
Dimitra Daisy
xx

--
Because "happiness will be our revenge" is the only thing I've ever
seen written on a wall that I whole-heartedly agree with.

 http://www.flickr.com/photos/dimitradaisy/
 http://www.sprinkledpepper.net/diaries/
 http://www.friendsoftheheroes.co.uk/