Sinister: Black Friday

P F pinefox1 at xxx.com
Sat Aug 11 10:54:43 BST 2007

The last time I saw Paul Morley, and there have not
been many times, he actually turned his head sideways
and gave me a somehow surprised yet definitely knowing
glance when he finally uttered the name 'Anthony H.
Wilson'. I think the 'H' was part of it.

I was slightly stunned last night when at 10:35 it was
announced that he had died, presumably mere hours
previously. On the end of the pwrogramme they featured
Richard Madeley, Paul Nearly and Peter Saville, and
Stephen Morris chirping laughingly down the line from
a dark Manchester avenue.

Anthony H. Wilson, said Richard Madeley, deconstructed
World In Action. He was very loveable. Yes, said Paul,
really, but he was very hateable too; he wouldn't have
wanted you to love him too much. When you hated him
you thought: I ought to love him, and when you loved
him you thought: I ought to hate him.

He dreamed up history before it happened, said Paul,
not poorly: he said it would all happen, and somehow
it came to pass. He said to me, You're going to be a
great writer ... he somehow engineered it so that one
of the best television presenters in Britain, and one
of the best wrock writers in Britain, if not THE best,
and one of the best designers, if not THE best, are
all here at the end to say goodbye to Tony.

Today the sun is shining again and 'Everyone
Everywhere' is playing. That's the best I can do,
right now.