Sinister: Now You Wouldn't Trust Me With a Grain of Sand

Ian Halliday ian.halliday at xxx.com
Thu Aug 23 18:28:57 BST 2007

England lost for a lot of reasons. It was the first Germany game at
the new Wembley. The fans are still going on about 1966, even the ones
whose parents weren't born then. And most obviously, Germany scored
more goals.
I don't think I've ever heard the Magnetic Fields in a pub. Someone
was blogging about them so enthusiastically a couple of years ago that
I acquired a copy of 69 Love Songs as a result, and I didn't regret
it. It's most unusual for me to take notice of band recommendations,
but when I do it's often quite significant. An early example of this
resulted eventually in my marriage, but I won't tell you who the
musician was because some of you might point and laugh, even if you're
thinking "me too" under your breath. And of course Miss Honey's
enthusiasm for Belle and Sebastian got me here in the first place, and
a fine community of people it is too. I know you're all far too
friendly to point and laugh really, but I still won't be telling who.
But we're celebrating our 20th anniversary next month: twice as long
as Sinister! And last week our firstborn came back from Canada and got
his AS results, while today our secondborn got his GCSE results. And
my thoughts are with all the Sinisterenes who have just received
results.
sometimes the stream of consciousness needs to be switched off, so
I'll do that now.

Ian
older than you since 1961

--

Ian W Halliday, BA Hons, SA Fin, MIMIS, ATMG, CL
+44 772 546 2965 (GMT+1)