Sinister: After changes upon changes, we are more or less the same

Sunny set sunnie_set at xxx.com
Mon Aug 27 18:26:02 BST 2007

Dear Sinister,

I know I don’t say it often enough, and I know you might think that I take
you for granted, but I’m so glad that you exist. I’m so glad that I found
you. You make me smile.

Just think if I hadn’t found you, this Saturday I wouldn’t have been sat
with the sun burning through the long grass, and the pale moon smiling
behind us, listening and singing to songs by The Magnetic Fields, and Lloyd
Cole and that band beginning with B who brought us together in the first
place.

If we hadn’t met there wouldn’t have been stories to tell about the time we
went to a picnic and there were too many cherries, or stories to tell about
the time we stuck a pin a map and took a train north where I turned pink
like a lobster (but not pink like a flamingo).

I wouldn’t have had biscuits that tasted of cinnamon and nutmeg but actually
contained lemon and oats. I wouldn’t have learnt that I could delete
messages from gmail threads, which may not change the world or anything like
but is one of those small helpful things that makes my life better.

And there wouldn’t have been the noodles, and the drinking and the dancing.
And strawberry lager – would I have ever discovered strawberry lager if it
wasn’t for you?

Seeing you on Saturday made me smile. It was like coming back home after
travelling the world for one hundred lifetimes. Everything was strange and
familiar all in one go. I had so many things to say but when it came down to
it none of them really mattered because you were there and nothing had
changed. Ok, ok we’re older now and our lives have moved on, but deep down
we’re still the same. Deep down there is that little something that binds us
together.

Maybe if we’re lucky we’ll meet again in another 5 years or another 7 years
or maybe if we are even luckier, and I sincerely hope that we will be, maybe
it will be sooner. It would be nice to drink and dance and smile with you
someday soon.

All my love

Rachel
xx