Sinister: You left me aching for something more

peter arnold qvantity at xxx.com
Wed Jan 17 17:16:07 GMT 2007

Dear Gayle,

While you are counting down your last days and Sundays of work I find I am
unexpectedly doing the same thing and it really freaks me out too. I
suddenly decided to go back to san jose state university for one semester
starting on Jan 24th, after working for 26 and a half years and a family of
5 to support. it gives me bad dreams every night and I'm counting the days
like you are in your messages. I wonder if you have the same anxieties? I am
afraid I can't do all the college work (extra load, seven classes) but I am
more afraid of what i will be like on May 24th when it's all over - will i
still want to go back to my old job? will i be able to even? will i be
someone else, and will my family like that other person? only time will
tell, and it's not telling yet. I feel like I am a plane at 36,000 feet,
just about to turn off the engines and fall slowly out of the sky like a
metal frosted swan of doom. When I try to fire them up again in 4 months,
with the ground rushing smashing up to meet me, will the engines restart?

But who should care when the world is all messed up like a giant bottom. I
hope all who go to college have a great time and acquire super abilities and
fix everything or become Dr. Paul Farmer of Haiti, who apparently nearly
married the daughter of Roald Dahl. So good luck! Or buena suerte as they
say in Mozambique*.

Rearguards,
Old Father Thyme

*in Spanish class. They do have Spanish classes in Mozambique.