Sinister: Fairly generic indie rubbish

Robin Stout stoutrobin at xxx.com
Fri Jul 13 20:46:43 BST 2007

Who is Ian Moore?

I think that Funny Little Frog song is actually quite pleasant, even
RATHER GOOD, and I think these Belle and Sebastian kids will go far.
Not altogether sure about that Belle, though. I hear she "kicks with
the other foot". Other generic indie rubbish I have been listening to,
well, am listening to RIGHT NOW, is God Save The Clientele. It's
splendid. I am sitting here listening to The Clientele, wearing a
vest, drinking port and watching rain flood down the window. Rock and
roll, guys, it's Friday night!

I began wearing a vest in order to look more like Brian Harvey from
East 17. I hoped it might help me to bust some moves. It did not.
However, I have become strangely enamoured of the old vest, and have
taken to wearing it about the house. It is particularly good on nights
like this, when it's wet and cold. Helps the port to warm the chest.

The new boss visited today. He said he'd brought the rain with him
from Manchester. We were too wet to laugh. He held out his hands, like
a Jesus waiting for his cross, and told us of our higher purpose on
this Earth. The glorious path of a Brown government. It was alright, I
guess, but with my choking collar and the sharp plastic chair, I was
just dying to get out of there for some tea. More tea for the civil
servants, that's how we can make this nation great again.

My spellchecker tells me that "indie" doesn't exist. Lindie does,
Cindie and Andie, it says, but not indie. But I read about indie in
the paper last week, so I think the spellchecker's wrong. Apparently
it's something we used to listen to in the eighties. All I ever used
to listen to in the eighties was Cliff Richard and DLT.

If the rain starts forming holes that are large enough for me to fit
through without getting soaked, I might pop down the Co-Op and spend
my vouchers. I came home yesterday to find them on my doorstep, with a
green sheet of A4 paper with writing in blue stuck to the cover. My
downstairs neighbour had accidentally opened my post and had written a
page of apology and explanation. "It came a while ago", she writes.
"If it has caused you any problems (eg. vouchers have expired) please
let me know." She must know how I get if my vouchers expire.

I am looking forward to the INTERNATIONAL SINISTER TENTH BIRTHDAY
PICNIC, but have a nagging suspicion that I have something on that
weekend already.. I shall cancel it! The weekend before is the Green
Man Festival, up in the Brecon Beacons, with Stephen Duffy and the
Lilac Time playing, among others. We had a little Sinister meetup
there last year (and, I suppose, *technically* a picnic, given that
the plates were plastic) and if any of you types are heading up there
this year let me know. If you're not going, then you should! There is
barn dancing, and lots of cheese on toast. And Duffy, and cider, and a
big pond. I know it sounds too bloody good to be true, but I'm telling
you, it's the truth.

I had better get spending these vouchers,

Robin x

--
www.last.fm/user/sprouts/