Sinister: partially CHUed food for thought

Rachel Apps blind_lisa at xxx.com
Tue Feb 5 17:08:51 GMT 2008

Dear Sinister,

Lunch has always been an awkward meal for me ... I have skipped it a lot over the years. As a teen, I'd buy a chocolate bar and a Coke and save the rest of my lunch money for records. As a child, it was ham sandwiches with my initials lovingly applied by Grandma with squeezy mustard, or Top Ramen noodles. At school, it was a sack lunch most days (I hated the way that sounded) except on pizza day or "lucky tray day" when I would buy lunch at school. Did anyone else have lucky tray day at school? They would put a sticker on the bottom of the lucky tray and if you got it you'd get a prize. Early gambling. I think I won it 2 or 3 times in the 7 years I went to that school.

Lunch these days is spent with baby James, listening to a random mix from the Belle & Sebastian catalogue. It's the only time I ever really listen to music lately. I find the songs to be sort of an aural journal, the old favourites jogging my memories of the times when I first heard them. "This Is Just A Modern Rock Song" comes up quite often recently and I find myself daydreaming as I spoon pureed chicken casserole into James' birdlike mouth, about the apartment I had in Studio City and the life I used to lead then. I suppose in 10 years' time, I'll listen to "Act Of The Apostle" and think about these rainy winter afternoons in the greater London suburbs, singing along quite out of tune as James pounds the tray with his chubby fingers and gives me a sloppy toothed grin.

I wish that I could sing, I'd stay in a melody ...

Love,
Rachel fruitloop

Want to see what I have been up to? Check out http://www.brapps.net View my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/brapps/