Sinister: coloured bricks

mummy i've grazed my knee clj106york at xxx.uk
Tue Feb 5 17:36:47 GMT 2008

Dearest list,

I'm sat here typing on my device listening to a lovely
little live recording of our beloved B&S. Not sure
where it's from, but they're playing 'Belle &
Sebastian' now and I feel a little woozy with a dab of
whimsy and giant dollop of nostalgia.

1998 - heddy days indeed. I was 16 and it had been a
full year since that fateful day when I first heard Jo
Whiley play a song called Lazy Line Painter Jane on
the Evening Session. It was a glorious August evening,
about 8:30, and I was watering my neighbours garden
for the princely sum of £1 a day. I waited 'til the
evening so I could listen to pop records on my little
transistor radio and this particular ditty had me
mesmerised. I noted down the name of afore mentioned
boy/girl duo - Belle & Sebastian - and caught the bus
into Ipswich the next morning where Rex Records were
able to sell me the 7" for £1.49.

I sometimes feel that everything in my life can be
traced back to that evening, and then the part of me
with a job to do, bills to pay and another degree to
complete says "get a grip" and I concentrate on
Newsnight and cheese sandwiches again.

I saw another Glasgow band on Saturday - Glasvegas.
They were playing at The Junction in York which is
just the back room of a pub really, and it was rammed.
With good reason though - they were absolutely
stunning and I recommend anyone with a passing
interest in The Jesus & Mary Chain / Phil Spector /
Shoegaze explores further.

On that note, I'm going to drift off into the finest
of B&S's live moments (Electronic Renaissance) and
then have a cherry bakewell.

lots of love

chris