Sinister: Make a new cult every day

Rachel Apps blind_lisa at xxx.com
Thu Oct 9 09:06:10 BST 2008

Hiya Sinister! Welcome Leah!

Your introduction was lovely to read. There isn't much activity on the list recently, but your post reminded me of when I discovered Belle & Sebastian. I remember how after just a taste of their music I, too, became obsessed with hearing more.

I had a friend in Texas whom I'd met at a Suede concert, he and I were rocking the AOL messenger chat every night and I was quite smitten with him. He had discovered b&s and typed the quote "have you and her been taking pictures of your obsessions/cos I met a boy who went through one of your sessions" and said it reminded him of me and my best friend, as we'd been making a fanzine about Suede and had become quite the little stalkers! That piqued my interest, and he sent me a mix tape which included "The Stars of Track and Field" and "Seeing Other People." I instantly fell in love. I must say that this "soundtrack" also helped increase my adoration for this friend, but alas, it was not meant to be (I don't have enough testosterone!) Funny how powerful music can be to romanticize ordinary life. I ended up ordering the "If You're Feeling Sinister" cd from the b&s management/fanclub (can't remember what it was really, got a letter from David Kitchen with it,
 though) and I was hooked. Like you, Leah, my budget for buying music was limited and I was driving to the Virgin Megastore on Sunset Blvd every few weeks to pick up the imports. "Lazy Line Painter Jane" was next, followed by the double whammy of "Dog On Wheels" and "3 ... 6 ... 9 Seconds of Light". I really couldn't believe how beautiful the songs were and how clever the lyrics were. I had found a band to replace my Suede obsession, which was burning out at that stage anyway. My favourite b&s song is still "Beautiful" from "3 ... 6 ... 9 Seconds of Light"

I hope some new b&s material is coming out soon. There wasn't a whole lot of discussion on this list after "The Life Pursuit" came out, I seem to remember that a lot of old school b&s fans on the list weren't too keen on it. I have to say that I really love the album. It took me a while to listen to it enough for it to really grow on me, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that my life has changed a lot and I don't make enough opportunities to listen to music in the same way that I used to. In fact, since moving to London from LA, I really miss listening to music while driving, as I don't drive over here. I used to love to sing along to my favourites at full blast, as loud as I wanted. I suppose I could try it on the Tube, but could very well get kicked off! Nothing worse than loud obnoxious Americans on the Tube!

Maybe some others on the list would like to reminisce about when they first heard b&s, too!

Love,
Rachel fruitloop

 Want to see what I have been up to? Check out http://www.brapps.net View my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/brapps/