Sinister: In a paper boat, we'll all just float away.

the_cats_pajamas_mail_box-1 at xxx.com the_cats_pajamas_mail_box-1 at xxx.com
Fri Oct 10 03:35:26 BST 2008

Hello Sinister,

One time, long, long ago, Ken Chu rode in my car in Chicago.  This is so far my only true brush with fame in this world.

Gayjay, I think Isobel's lines from Marx and Engels are as follows:

"The bourgeoisie, historically, has played a revolutionary part to all feudal, idyllic relationships. It has resolved personal worth and in place of freedom is exploitation for profit alone. There is a spectre of the past in my bold assertion. We could learn much from the past."
With that out of the way, welcome Leah!  Sinister is a sleepier place these days, content to let the time drip by with a fit of activity every so often.  Still, it's a pleasant place and I dare say things would pick up quite a bit if there was a new album by B&S anywhere on the horizon.

My first experience with Belle and Sebastian was courtesy of a boy named Dmitri.  He played Boy With The Arab Strap for me at an arts and crafts party that I was at.  It was twee as fuck, of course, both the college age kids cutting and pasting construction paper as well as the music.  Being a poor college kid I loved the music but only bought the one I knew was good when I was at the store.  A little bit later, I was checking out somebody's illegally shared music collection and found "My Wandering Days Are Over" off of Tigermilk, and it was a prophetic song.  My musical wanderings were certainly over for some time as I dove headfirst into as much of the B&S catalog that I could find.  I read Sinister regularly, and was a much more frequent contributor to #sinister.

Now much of that is just fond remembrances of my undergrad days.  I moved back to my college town when I took a job with my alma mater, but by that time Sinister had grown into the grand old dame that she is now.  I think it's a fitting development, but at the same time, it's always fun to see these periodic fits of activity.

I never really spoke to Dmitri, or thanked him for introducing me to Belle and Sebastian.  I'd see him around campus from time to time.  He was dating a boy from my dorm at one point.  But I had only met him once or twice, so it felt odd to go up and reintroduce myself over such a seemingly small thing.  I never knew his last name, so I can't even google stalk him.  Oh well.  I guess playing a CD doesn't necessarily warrant tracking somebody down to thank them.

Thanks for listening, I hope all is well :)

Jason