Sinister: Mont Royal, or Perfection as a Hipster

layla itsbeenabloodystupidday at xxx.ca
Sun Jun 7 23:31:19 BST 2009

Sinister!

Summer is upon us.

I have scrubbed down my modest balcony-cum-fire-escape, installed a table and chairs, and filled the remaining space with plants. I was never much of a plant person before, but now... Now I walk around the Jean-Talon market positively transfixed by flowers and herbs and vines whose names I don't know or particularly care to know, just wallowing in the untrammelled sensory bliss of it all.

(Oh, winter was long.)

I have been thinking about picnics. I have been trying to recall the last picnic I attended, but I can't. This strikes me as a situation that needs rectifying. And so I propose a Montreal picnic to all you lurking listees, whose paths I perhaps unknowingly cross en route to the metro or the bakery. Let us gather one Sunday and break baguette together. I don't own a football, and if I toss a frisbee it is likely an excellent indication to duck, but such pastimes would of course be welcome. Or we can while away the afternoon with generous quantities of wine, nostalgia, and tinny Belle & Sebastian on portable speakers.

(God help this girl.)

Layla

P.S.: Is anyone going to see Camera Obscura on June 26th at La Tulipe? Their latest album has a metallic Scandinavian sound that I can't quite coordinate to any given mood, but I still plan to attend and wouldn't mind company.