Sinister: Dramaturgical Assitance! Stat! (Well, sort of)

Jay Eckard jayeckard at xxx.com
Mon Jun 22 19:46:25 BST 2009

Gosh!

Mr FP asked where the angel-and-demon-on-your-shoulder
trope comes from, and I'm just the person to elucidate! Its most direct
source is Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus that have a "goode
angell and euil spirit" that come out together from time to time to
either cheer for or against the good Doctor's repentance.

[It
comes from older English mystery plays that feature good and bad angels
talking to a given soul -- like in the Castle of Perservance -- but in
none of the Medieval plays do they come out and bicker with each other
directly, like they do in Faustus.]

I also quite like Mr FP's sitcom idea -- especially the portraits. I think somebody should try their hand at it.

As
you can see, I'm struggling to come up with some actual B&S
/content/ but I seem totally strapped. Following on from others talking
about Camera Obscura, I saw thier show this weekend in NC. It was keen.
And they played "Eighties Fan", and that had Stuart on guitar when they
recorded it in the studio. See! Cotent! They also played "Franch Navy"
and "Razzle Dazzle Rose" which was quite nice, but I pine for the day
they play "Roman Holiday" live. Has anyone seen or heard them do that?

--GayJay
--

"If you can't be great you may as well be bright..."

Sodastream

"There's more to life than books, you know/

But not much more..."

The Smiths

"The natural state of the theatre is that of insurmountable obstacles on the path to imminent disaster."

Phillip Henslowe