Sinister: RE: Sinister: Belle et Sébastien

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Wed Jul 21 13:34:38 BST 2010

Hello Sinister
I was sad to read about the death of Mme Aubry, via The Pinefox. I've never knowingly seen Belle et Sébastien, the cartoon, but (obviously) Belle & Sebastian, the band, wouldn't be who they are today without her – literally – so for that I am grateful.
Her passing coincides with another sad loss - this time more personal, but no less B&S-related. My last surviving original B&S badge from years ago, given to me by Jo Perry (of this parish) and worn on many a coat and bag for many a year, mysteriously popped off my bag somewhere between the Latitude festival and my workplace this morning. Now all that remains is the wire frame on which the button sat, rusty, bereft and naked. I have no idea where the button made its leap, and the shear number of miles I have covered in that time renders a search somewhat futile. So that's that, I suppose.
I was aware of its precariousness, and also its preciousness, but never really did anything to safeguard it. I sometimes thought of it as the last remaining Beatle; I have a feeling that Ringo will be the next to go (but not for a while, I do hope!), and then Paul will be left to carry the torch alone. That last badge (the purple and white one with BELLE AND SEBASTIAN written across the middle) was my last Beatle - the final concrete link to Back Then. Now I'll just have to remember.
In related news of B&S absence, does anyone else find the announcement of not a single tour date anywhere in the South-East slightly snubbing? Maybe I'm sounding London-centric. Maybe I need to get out of the city, and into the springtime.
Bulk love

Sam.x

     "He's strictly a pain in the ass, but
      he certainly has a good vocabulary"