Sinister: My curtains drawn, my thoughts composed

Eric eric.brasure at xxx.com
Thu Oct 7 16:16:51 BST 2010

Hello Sinister!

I went to see Belle & Sebastian last Thursday. It was an outdoor show
in Brooklyn by the East River. There were magnificent views of the
city, and the weather was blustering and threatening to be
apocalyptic. They played for almost two hours, and it was very nice.
It was like running into an old flame that you still think of fondly
from time to time. Every once in a while they'd start talking about
some of the later stuff, when things started to go a little bad, but
then they'd follow it up with that time early on and it was all good
again.

Now that I have a smartiPhoneajig I actually jotted down the setlist.

I Didn't See It Coming (new song)
I'm a Cuckoo
Step Into My Office, Baby
Like Dylan in the Movies
I'm Not Living in the Real World (new song)
Piazza, New York Catcher
I Want the World to Stop (new song)
Lord Anthony
Sukie in the Graveyard
We Rule the School
Another Sunny Day
The Loneliness of a Middle-Distance Runner (Struan wasn't sure if we'd
know this one, as it was a B-side, and I scoffed. I allow myself a bit
of cooler-than-thou about this band)
Write About Love
There's Too Much Love
The Boy with the Arab Strap
If You Find Yourself Caught in Love
Judy and the Dream of Horses
Sleep the Clock Around

Encore
Me and the Major
Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying

I was surprised by how much stuff they played from DCW, but I'm
finding that album to have some serious legs, so perhaps I shouldn't
be. The songs sound amazing live, especially Piazza. Serious lack of
anything from FISHYCLAP, which is fine, because I'm finding that album
to have no legs whatsoever. I wasn't too impressed by the new songs,
at least on a songwriting level (guys, I know, we all love Stevie, but
he keeps writing the same song over and over again.) but the melodies
are great. And every time I see them I'm impressed by how tight they
are as a band. They switched from Lord Anthony to Sukie in the
Graveyard in a beat, and then went to We Rule the School, and it all
just worked.

Maybe they'll come back in three, or four, or five years, and I'll go
and see them again, and it'll be pleasant. Then again, maybe they
won't, and that'd be okay, too.

Love,
Eric

PS I leave you with this bizarre interview from America's very own
National Public Radio (for which I will soon be working):
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/10/06/130382972/belle-and-sebastian-s-business-plan-a-taqueria-in-glasgow

--
"Why are the machines so sad?"