Sinister: The Warfield, San Francisco, September 8&9th, 2001, shortly and years thereafter.

John Wojcik johnnythreeb at xxx.com
Fri Oct 8 15:53:29 BST 2010

I write because Belle and Sebastian just played in NY, first time in quite a
while. And I write because a friend was very upset that she missed the show. I
am upset that she is getting married and moving to London. Trying to find
something special to give her that addresses both, I dug up the poster I have
from the show at the Warfield. If she can't have her own B&S experience, I can
at least share mine, symbolized in an object that is very suitcase-packable.

Digging through old sinister e-mails, I found -

From:     Kyla Schuller <kylaschu at xxxxx>
Date:     Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:59:57 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

TICKET
I have 1 ticket, row G, for Saturday's SF show. Asking
face value + charges, so $30. (un)lucky recipient will
be able to sit next to me.

I was that (un)lucky recipient. Kyla, wherever you are, thanks for organizing
the picnic that day, selling me the ticket and being the (un)lucky person to
talk to me through the show. Somehow, I thought that 4 years as an undergrad,
interacting with women studies majors at Rutgers would have sufficiently
prepared me for the conversation with someone so educated and gender aware.
Sadly, it did not.

It is hard to describe what happens to a person who is 3000mi away from home,
goes to a placid picnic of welcoming Sinistereens and sees two shows of their
favorite band. A few days later, you hear stories about your friends who need to
pass through roadblocks and show ID to get to their apartments, carried water to
firemen or were in a subway destined for under the towers but thankfully backed
out to New Jersey. I tried to drive back from San Jose, saw the Nevada desert
and ultimately flew back from Salt Lake. Things changed, I changed.

John