Sinister: Long-time listener, first-time caller

Jonathan Solari neojonathan at xxx.com
Wed Oct 13 16:26:15 BST 2010

Hello there Sinister. How's your day going?

Yesterday I picked up W.A.L. (doesn't quite have the ring to it that
FISHYCLAP did, now does it? I have a lot to say defending that record
btw, but I'll save my breath for now and not try your collective
patience quite yet) and had my first listen. It was on my ipod though,
post-rip, as no proper cd player was available to me at the time. For
that I beg your lossy-format forgiveness.

I also had an epiphany, during my listen. If we were to play Six
Degrees of B&S, Norah Jones (Chexxx Mixxx) now ties them to The Lonely
Island, and thus, to T-Pain and countless others. Food for thought.
Also, the fact that Sunday's Pretty Icons mentions six-degree
connections sent a chill down my spine upon listening to it. An omen!

Another random thing that's always tripped me up, although I'm a bit
late in mentioning it: The horn line in Judy and the Dream of Horses
always always always makes me think of the old theme song to America's
Funniest Home Videos. North American readers, care to weigh in on
this?

Anyway. I am frustrated that WAL (feels too close to Wal*Mart,
shudder..maybe BASWAL is better? BALSA? BASMATIRICE?) has vinyl- and
download-only bonus tracks. Chasing down songs across various formats
is something that's frustrated me with Camera Obscura in the past (but
something I've been happy to do since they're a trifle less prolific).
I do intend to pick up BASWAL on wax at some point, but having to fire
up itunes for one extra song, well. Tsk. Whine. Complain. "You've
given us a brilliant new album, and I have to put in some effort now?
Waaaahhhh."

Well, it's nice to have finally stopped lurking, I'd like to thank you
all and say that I hope I passed the audition.
Also, I'll see you at Bowlie^2. [Squeal.]

--jon.