Sinister: Write About Now, The Funk Soul Brother

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Thu Sep 30 22:14:42 BST 2010

Hello Sinister

Wow. Big Stu was here. Like, only last week. What a treat, dear Sinister, what a treat. I was glad to hear from him, but was saddened to read about his malfunctioning heart. I hope his new heart serves him better, when it arrives. I only met him a couple of times at Sinister picnics (and was probably far more aware of him, due to his height, than he was of me, regardless of mine) but still, memories are memories, aren't they.

Anyway, enough nostalgia - it will get us nowhere but the past. In current news of B&S, I must admit my excitement for the new album is still to fully blossom, although I'm enjoying the trickle of public performances/promotion in which the band are indulging, and I've already preordered my vinyl. One piece of said promotion surfaced last night, when (as keen followers stateside* may have noticed) the band appeared on Jimmy Fallon's show**. I found out about this, and watched the performances, via Pitchfork, and you can too, by clicking on this:

http://pitchfork.com/news/40235-watch-belle-and-sebastian-perform-on-jimmy-fallon-with-uestlove-from-the-roots/

They performed Write About Love, surrounded by Bowlie kids wearing thick black specs and taking notes (presumably "writing about love", gedditt!!??!), accompanied on drums by ?uestlove from The Roots, whom, I discover, are Fallon's house band. He was filling in for (rather than augmenting) Richard - one can only conclude he had a more pressing engagement in New York City on Wednesday night.

I enjoyed their performance, although wasn't, I should confess, overwhelmed by the song. Hopefully it's a grower. I missed Richard and his ludicrous gurns, although ?uestlove deputised very competently. Beans had a natty little keyboard solo too, which he performed while his left hand was placed safely on his lap, almost as if showing off. This pleased me too. Oh, and Struan removed his specs half way through the song, which was bound to make someone swoon, somewhere, even now.

Anyway, as an "exclusive bonus" for the Fallon show's website, the group also performed Piazza, New York Catcher, adding drums, bass and electric guitar to the version of the song we all know. The live incarnation took the song away from its familiar Simon & Garfunkel feel and more towards Folsom Prison Blues, which was to its detriment, in my opinion. Still, interesting for the fan, no doubt.

And with that burst of content, I think I will disappear off into the night, once more. I love you, Sinister, I've a drowning grip on your adoring face.

Sam.x

*do people still say that?

**I must ask, perhaps to the US contingent: is this Fallon chap cool? He doesn't seem to have the presence of people like Letterman or Leno; he seems a bit too eager to please.