Sinister: An archive in the UK

Sam Walton samwaltonyeah at xxx.com
Sun Sep 11 18:51:07 BST 2011

Hello Sinister
I don't have much of a 9/11 story. It revolves around going to the cinema with one-time Sinister member Hannah Brown on a Tuesday afternoon before our university terms started. It's a low-rise story, one with no relatives involved, no insight or observation that wasn't shared by everyone else watching on television. But even the most unremarkable things remain vivid when set against remarkable ones; ten years on I remember it all.
However, in the inevitable "what were you doing on 9/11" conversations that I've had in the past week, one remarkable thing that I've mentioned more than once is you, Sinister. I've tried to explain to my friends that back in 2001, years before the social web or citizen journalism, when the idea of web communities or having a blog was a niche pursuit, Sinister that day showed me why being on the internet wasn't just for chatting about a favourite band. The list's reaction to the attacks made everything a little more normal and a little less despondent; it covered every emotion with warmth, intelligence and compassion, and its response and activity that day is just as indelliably inked on my brain as the footage second plane going in.
Ken's post from the other week mentioned quite a few archive posts, and his links reminded me what an important part Sinister played in my life for about five years. I know it's shrunk down to almost nothing now, but I'm glad it's still here, somehow. Have a look at the archives for that September ten years ago: http://www.missprint.org/archives/html/sinister/2001-09/index.html - it's a fascinating document, today in particular.
Love

Asm.