Sinister: Have you received an unusual e-mail from this address?

maddalo at xxx.com maddalo at xxx.com
Mon Apr 9 07:53:49 BST 2012

Hello.  If you are receiving this e-mail, that means your e-mail
address was contained in the address book at my old account at
maddalo at aol.com

I have reason to believe this account was hacked.

The primary evidence for this is a number of e-mail addresses in the
address book to which I have never sent anything.  This leads me to
believe that someone else gained access to my account, and sent
something from it, to addresses which I do not recognize at all.

I am therefore e-mailing every address in my address book—including
those to which I have personally never sent anything—to ask whether you
have received anything strange, unusual, offensive, or otherwise
untoward sent from this address (maddalo at aol.com).

The difficulty here is that I myself have, on occasion, sent strange,
unusual, offensive and untoward e-mails with no assistance from anyone
else.  But if I did, in fact, send such an e-mail to you, then I’m
happy to admit it.  (And perhaps even to apologize for it.  The reasons
for my own sending strange, unusual, offensive or untoward e-mails are
varied, but I’m happy to offer an explanation if you’d like one, and an
apology if one is indeed merited.)

However, I have no desire to explain or apologize for anything that I
personally never sent and had nothing to do with sending—I’m just
trying to clarify whether this did, in fact, happen.  The evidence from
my address book suggests that it did—but I have no evidence whatsoever
of what might have been sent.

America On-Line has been (unsurprisingly) of no use in helping me to
determine if e-mails were sent from this account and then deleted from
the outbox.  Therefore I am asking for assistance from everyone in my
address book—including those addresses to which I have never personally
sent anything.

If you received an e-mail from this account that I did not send, then
I’d like to know about it.  The only evidence I have is the unusual
addresses in my address book, to which I have no recollection of having
sent anything—therefore I have no idea of what may have been sent, or
who sent it.  But if you received something strange, I’d like to be
informed about it.

Please respond to this request via my new e-mail address,
peterjustinmorris at gmail.com, or else I can be reached by telephone at
USA 484 574 2568.