Sinister: Every time I think of you I feel shot right through with a bolt of blue

Lawrence Mikkelsen lawrencemikkelsen at xxx.com
Tue Feb 17 23:26:16 GMT 2015

So nice to get a couple of Sinister emails through the increasingly disused
email door. A week or so I answered some questions for a Frenchman named
Lawrence about Belle & Sebastian, Postcard Records and music fandom, and
this got me ruminating on those heady days of the late 1990s/early 2000s
when every Sinister post was a minor work of art, to be poured over,
over-analysed and clutched closely to my heart.

Just two weeks ago I caught up with a dear friend, Helen, whose 10+ year
trans-Tasman friendship I owe to a Sinister picnic in Melbourne circa 2003.
I've also been enjoying baby photos on Facebook from David and Julie - a
real life Sinister-relationship-success-story. When I think of Sinister I
think of these people, bunking in Niko Ovenden's flat in Edinburgh in 2005,
wandering around the Lower East Side with Eric in NYC, etc. These things
still mean something to me.

Oh, and for anyone who followed my ceaseless moaning 10 years ago, Belle &
Sebastian FINALLY played a show in New Zealand a few weeks back, on the St.
Jerome's Laneway bill. It was 45 minutes, but it was grand, and it was the
first time I've seen them that hasn't involved me having to fly to
Australia.

Me? I'm turning 40 next week. I have three-year-old twins and I'm no longer
some smarmy IT worker. I'm now a bitterly-sarcastic highschool Media
Studies teacher with a heart of gold. Life has, for the most part, treated
me well.

Well, that's enough for today. Hopefully a few others might crawl out of
the woodwork. Let the trickle become a flood.

Is there any kind of ex-Sinister-mailing-list FB group? Would be nice to
hear from a few more familiar names.