Sinister: nobody gets to meet The Duke

Matthew Lobb mlobb79 at xxx.com
Thu Feb 19 12:50:46 GMT 2015

Maiden post here. Greetings from rainswept Brisbane.

Long-time listener, signed up to Sinister only about a fortnight
ago. I'm pleased to now be reading a few emails coming in from long-time
Sinister members. Lovely emails, I hope there are a lot more to come. Feels
like a strange time to join. How long's the list been dormant?

After a long, unintended break from listening, I made an effort to back
into most of the B&S albums around December, to get my fandom into shape
for their recent show at The Tivoli.

For a good six weeks, breakfasts were a three-egg milkshake with
the blender drowning out 'The Boy Done Wrong Again'. Cheap, spartan lunches
(plain pasta and olive oil/cereal sprinkled with protein powder/an old
Easter egg) and 'Simple Things' always WAY up, daring the neighbours to
call the cops or join the party. Afternoons were so much speedwork in the
garage to 'I Fought In A War', before cranking the Discman up and hitting
the footpath carefully to 'The Blues Are Still Blue', etc.

I thought I was getting fit for an old love, but actually I 'burned out' at
the gig. Maybe it's a very Brisbane mistake - getting too worked up before
a show. There was nothing except fatigue in my applause for an encore that
night - no slur on the concert. Of course, it was great to see them
again. The new songs sounded particularly fresh, and the group seemed a
lot more keen on them, too, I thought.

Best,
Matt