Sinister: How quickly we forget

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Sat Feb 21 17:16:44 GMT 2015

Lovelets,

It's spectacularly nice - and odd - to have you all back in my living
room. But after it's odd it's nice again. I think you may have to all
post about your mortgages and pension funds in order that we don't
create a time tunnel.

- List news -

Sinister is a cranky old beast and adheres rigidly to technical
standards from 1998 - well, 1993 in all probability - and you're all
21st century space travellers now and can't remember how to be 1998.
It's easy: you need to tell your mail programs to post in plain text. I
know I know, it's so pass?. But the archive don't like it (as indeed
they may not like that ?) which is why The Duke came over all EBCDIC as
Keef put it elsewhere. Extra "mainframe" points for understanding what
he means.

So I've edited and forwarded some mails sent in spaceman language that
Sinister doesn't understand in order to help it along, but I won't be
keeping up with that should this odd and lovely electronic renaissance
last more than a week. It won't even tell you that you got it wrong. So
please go check your mail program settings and make sure you aren't
sending in HTML gubbins doodah or your mails will silently slip under
the fridge.

I'll also make an attempt to stop that "SPAM" labelling nonsense.
You're not spammers, you're just very naughty boys (and girls).

Remember you can check the archives at:

http://www.missprint.org/archives/html/sinister/2015-02/

for latest posts, which inexplicably still appears to be mostly working.
It sometimes disappears, but it does that in order that it can come
back again.

- Band news -

I'm waiting for a song-by-song dissection of the new album from one or
more of you, preferably in rhyme form (iambic pentameter would be fine,
I'm easy). I'll get you started with the suggestions that Enter Sylvia
Plath is all quite Dollar and The Party Line is most definitely a homage
the great and dearly-missed Kajagoogoo.

- Stuart David news -

This is the forthcoming book wot I mentioned:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/In-All-Night-Caf?-Stuart-David/dp/140870515X

I was lucky enough to read it early and I can't recommend it enough. It
doesn't have an ounce of twee other than a good bit on a beach, and is
written with a very singular voice: it's more of a story than an attempt
to produce one of those dreary blow-by-blow diaries of gigs and tours. I
don't think it's much of a spoiler to say it ends with the Tigermilk
party, which I love. It's mostly about him and Stuart M hanging around
and finding out how songs work and how records work. I am dying to tell
you some funny stories from it but let's just say "if you want to shag
him, you should just ask him out".

And the publishers want to give you some early copies I think. They've
been in touch and that along with Rachel Apps are the instigators of me
making/checking the list is working again. Rachel is now officially
joint Marquess of Sinister Renewal, even if it's brief. That depends on
you!

Oh and Stuart allegedly may pop along here to post about it too, if
you're keen.

- Duke news -

Alistair's kindly offering to post some bits and pieces and I found this
to get you started if you're in a nostalgic frame of mind:

http://www.missprint.org/sinister/press.html

I've decided to leave the Sinister website as a monument to 1998 web
technology so most of the links are broken, but that one still works.
There's also one of the first band web chats in history which is at

http://www.missprint.org/sinister/bandchat.txt

It's seat of the edge stuff. It contains barely any useful information
for archivists and is by turns funny and traumatising. Famously it's
where Stuart David declares

<StuartD> Listen, this is pish, I think I'll leave

and in so doing questions the very basis of pop stardom in an age of
uncertainty. Kim Kardashian should have taken note.

Honey