Sinister: Stuart David's book and the spectucular prize draw thereof

honey at xxx.org honey at xxx.org
Mon Mar 16 15:41:52 GMT 2015

Hullo you lot,

Right. I promised a week or so ago that I'd be sending on an
exclusively-fashioned finely-honed Sinister-specific (lip-smackin' etc)
competition to win a pre-release copy of Stuart David's fine new book on
the origins of the band which I can't recommend enough. This is it.

Book blurb:
https://www.littlebrown.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781408705155,

Stuart's blog about it:
http://www.stuart-david.com/?page_id=175

Pets Win Prizes:
http://missprint.org/sinister/allnightcafe/competition.jpg

Rachel from the Little, Brown Book Group (spectacularly the name really
includes a comma) is offering 16 (wait for it) copies of the book to
those who enter, drawn randomly from your entries. The lucky winner gets
the book, a tote bag (how very B&S!) and a poster signed by Stuart,
which I'd like to think but can't guarantee is signed in his blood. Five
more get the book and tote bag (see pic above) and ten more just get the
book. The rest of you get a polite round of applause.

I'm not great at statistics but I'd say you have a reasonable chance of
winning.

Rachel has assured me your email or postal addresses won't be used to
spam you subsequently and will be deleted after the draw's over. So
that's good then.

But firstly a word or two from Stuart to you, yes you:

"Although I wasn't fully conscious of it at the time, it was all the
people from the Sinister list I was talking to while I was writing this
book. So if any of it means anything to any of you crazies, that's
enough. It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks."

I'd really appreciate posts from winners after you've read the book, so
please remember to come back and tell us what you thought, good or bad.
In fact I'd like it if you posted on entering too but you don't have to.
I really want to know if others enjoy it as I did and besides, you won
it here. Don't forget Mum.

Mail from the publisher below and details on how to enter. Please try to
ignore the quote she's included from me as it's hardly Booker Prize
worthy - Chris's review is much better. The book though is very, very
good.

Honey x

Little, Brown says:

On April 16th, we're hugely excited to be publishing Stuart David's
memoir of Belle and Sebastian's formative year: In the All-Night Cafe.
It's affectionate, fascinating, evocative, magical and charmingly
written - everything you would expect. But don't take the publishers'
word for it - it comes highly recommended by some Sinister people too:

Honey says: "I can't recommend it enough. It doesn't have an ounce of
twee other than a good bit on a beach, and is written with a very
singular voice: it's more of a story than an attempt to produce one of
those dreary blow-by-blow diaries of gigs and tours. I don't think it's
much of a spoiler to say it ends with the Tigermilk party, which I love.
It's mostly about him and Stuart M hanging around and finding out how
songs work and how records work. I am dying to tell you some funny
stories from it but let's just say "if you want to shag him, you should
just ask him out"."

Chris Jones says: "It made me swoon and feel just marvellous. The
re-animation of Sinister is very timely, because it will take you on a
beautiful nostalgic journey back to those heady late 90s days and make
you fall in love with the band all over again. As they creep towards a
slick, professional, internationally touring pop behemoth/contemporary
cultural irrelevance (delete as you see fit) it was beyond wonderful to
be reminded of why we all fell head over heels for them in the first
place. I've been listening to the early stuff all over again,
supplementing it with the newly learned scraps of joy from Stuart's
book, and boy have I enjoyed it... The fact that I've been able to read
Stuart David's book at the same time has made me fall in love with them
all over again - I've been listening to the 90s stuff with a totally
fresh view. It's been utterly beautiful and I've found enjoyment in
places I never did first time round. It's a great fanboy read - I've
been reading it on the bus after work and am so sad that I'll have
finished it soon. It's put a bit of much needed indie sparkle back in my
life."

For a chance to win a limited edition early copy of the book (10 runners
up), with a tote bag (5 runners up), and maybe a poster signed by Stuart
(1 winner), just email marketing at littlebrown.co.uk before midnight on
Sunday 22nd March with your name, post address, and subject: "All-Night
Cafe".